Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Bread


Whenever I walk past a bakery, particularly the smaller ones in the neighborhood, my pace slows down a tad just so I could take a whiff of freshly baked bread. Such a comfort. Call me weird but it just feels like a big warm hug. So now I wanted that in my house. I’ve been baking for a while now. Lots of cakes, pies, brownies, and the likes, but never bread. This is no fancy recipe. It’s from the recipe book that came with the oven.
Ingredients:
250 gm flour
1 tbsp yeast
150 ml warm water
1 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
Method:
Take 2 tbsp of the warm water and mix the yeast and sugar in it. Keep aside for 10 minutes. In another big mixing bowl sieve in the flour and salt. Add the yeast mixture to the flour and mix till it forms a dough. Now put this on your (clean) kitchen counter and knead well for about 10 minutes. You will find this very therapeutic. Now cover it with a damp muslin cloth and leave it to prove (rise) for about an hour. After an hour take off the cloth and knock back the dough and knead again for a couple of minutes. You can shape it however you like or just make a long loaf and place it on your baking tray or loaf tin and set aside to prove again for another hour (I know!). In your pre-heated oven, bake for 30 minutes in 200 C. You can sprinkle sesame seeds like I did.
There you go. Your very own loaf of bread :)

2 comments:

  1. Was this done in the OTG, or the regular oven? And is there a difference in the cooking time? I've noticed that although my microwave has the grill and convection oven mode, whenever I bake (ok, try to bake) stuff, it takes forever and is never ready even after cooking it for the said time after the initial preheating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the OTG. Microwave cooking/baking is against my religion :P
    Microwave doesn't bake (however hard they claim it does!). If you're lucky it only cooks you cakes. I once tried cupcakes, they came out fine(without the browning on top). Although after 5 minutes they turned so hard you could break someone's skull with it.
    Get an OTG! Pliss

    ReplyDelete