Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Coconut Masala Paste For Curries

This is my safe base as I'd like to call it. After a day's work, I'd like to get done with cooking for dinner in minimum time so I can unwind and rest well before a good night's sleep. This masala really helps my cause. For a quick curry I cook vegetables or meat in this paste along with coconut milk, stock or just water. Sometimes I add chopped tomatoes and tamarind pulp for some sourness while cooking the curry.

Ingredients for the ground masala:
8 dried red chillies
4 cloves garlic
1 inch piece of ginger
1/2 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp peppercorns
1 tsp turmeric
1 cup grated coconut or 1/2 cup coconut pieces
4 cloves
1 inch piece of cinnamon

Method for the masala:
1. Saute all ingredients one at a time in 1 tbsp oil or ghee.
2. Grind to a fine paste with water.
3. Use immediately or store in air tight container in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment