Monday, October 18, 2010

Jerk roast chicken stuffed with cheesy mushrooms..with penne arrabiata







Sunday morning, I rushed to the supermarket (spar) where I make my decisions with regard to cooking, and sometimes other aspects of my life. I love supermarkets! I was in the herbs and spices isle when I came across some new merchandise. Caribbean seasoning and Jerk chicken seasoning. Constant battle in my mind as to which one to choose. I picked up both. I don't like fights, not even in my head.
Boneless pieces of chicken, Some celery, onions and I was good to go. On my way back, I made a stop at a local vegetable mart. I hadn't seen such fresh plump tomatoes in a while and the timing was just right for me to pick some up. By then I knew what I wanted to cook. I had the rest of the ingredients at home.








Ingredients for (my) arrabiata sauce:
3 medium tomatoes chopped
1 medium onion chopped
2 tsp tomato puree
1 tsp sugar
4 cloves of garlic chopped
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp jerk seasoning
salt and pepper for seasoning

Method:
Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the chopped garlic. Saute till it releases its flavours and aroma. Don't let it burn. Tip in the onions and saute till it turns transparent. Now the tomatoes go in. Add the tomato puree. Put the lid on and let this cook for about 10 minutes. Keep an eye on it not to let it burn. Need be add a little extra oil. Add the sugar. Now let this cool and get to room temperature. Churn it into a puree consistency using your hand blender. Your sauce is ready. That's how easy it is.
Ingredients for Jerk roasted chicken stuffed with cheesy mushrooms:
1 chicken breast boneless and skinless
2 big cloves of garlic chopped
1 lemon (juice and zest)
1 tbsp Jamaican seasoning
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper for seasoning
1 cup chopped and cooked mushrooms
1 tbsp shredded cheese

Method:
Marinate the chicken with the oil, lemon juice and grated zest(skin of the lemon), garlic, salt, pepper and the Jamaican seasoning. Now slice the chicken breast horizontally all through just leaving about an inch in the end. Pop it in the fridge for about 30 minutes. Now flip the chicken open and place mushrooms and the cheese. Close it. Heat a heavy bottomed saucepan preferably non-stick. Heat about 2 tbsp olive oil. Place the chicken and cover the pan. Sprinkle some of the Jamaican seasoning again if you like. Let it cook for about 2-3 minutes on medium heat. Check for a nice roasted look on the chicken and then flip it to let the other side roast. Again for 2-3 minutes. Surprisingly quick, I know! Me thinks it's the heavy bottom pan. Otherwise the chicken would burn or not cook through out. Give it a try anyways.
So now get it out and serve it as you like it. What I did was, lay it on a bed of pasta and the arrabiatta sauce and garnished it with some celery leaves. Tadaaa!

No comments:

Post a Comment