Monday, June 15, 2015

Mutton Curry with Coconut and Khus Khus

Sunday is my cheat day. And by cheat I mean, rice and curry. I'll let my breakfast pancake slide by for the time being. I've been going high with my protein intake, which is why chicken is a part of my dinners on most weekdays. That's why I choose pork/mutton for Sundays. This time it's mom's mutton curry. I made peas pulao to go with it.

Ingredients:
Mutton on the bone - 1/2 kg
Onions - 1 large, finely chopped
Tomatoes - 2 (you can substitute it with 3 tbsp tomato puree as well)
Cinnamon - 1 inch stick
Cardamom - 3 - 4 pods
Cloves - 3 - 4
Ginger garlic paste - 2 tbsp
Raw papaya paste - 2 tbsp
Coconut - 1/2 cup grated
Khus khus - 2 tsp
Turmeric - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Ghee - 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Coriander leaves for garnish

Method:
1. Marinate mutton in 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste, raw papaya paste and salt for a couple of hours or overnight.
2. In a pressure cooker, heat ghee and add cinnamon, cardamom and cloves.
3. Tip in the onions and cook till soft.
4. Add turmeric, coriander powder and chilli powder.
5. Add tomatoes/puree and mix well.
6. Add the meat along with the rest of the marinate and salt.
7. Add water to cover the meat and pressure cook for 2 minutes.
8. In the meanwhile, grind the coconut and khus khus with some water to make a paste.
9. Once two whistles are done, turn the heat off and let the pressure drop on its own.
10. Take the lid off once the pressure is down and let the mutton simmer in low heat while you add the coconut mixture.
11. Take it off the heat after 4 - 5 minutes.

Serve with steamed basmati rice, or peas pulao like I did.




1 comment:

  1. "Knock knock"
    "Who's there?"
    "Mutton curry"
    "Neki aur khus khus?"

    ReplyDelete