Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Zesty Lemon Cake


-->
So I’m alone at work and it’s almost time to get home. I suddenly crave for something sweet and something tangy. Figured I could bake something myself since it’s been God knows how long since I’ve fallen off the baking wagon. Hopped on to my favorite baking recipes’ website, Joy of Baking. Lemon Bars came to mind but, but I let it pass. Next best thing, Lemon Cake; a spongy, buttery, tangy and delicious Lemon Cake. Fills your home with a zesty lemony aroma, you can’t help but feel lifted instantly.
Ingredients:
2 cups flour
1 cup butter at room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar
¼ cup lemon juice
4 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
Zest of 2 lemons
1 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
Method:
First whisk the butter and sugar till light and fluffy. Use a balloon whisk for this or an electric whisk to make life easy. Now add the eggs, one at a time, whisking continuously. Add the zest, lemon juice and vanilla at this point. Tip in the flour, salt and baking powder and bring together all ingredients to form a thick batter. Pour it into a 9 inch greased baking tin, or a non-stick one like I did. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180C for 30 minutes or till done. Let it cool completely before slicing it up. What you could do to add some more zing would be a tangy sugar glaze. Simply add 1 tbsp. of lemon juice to one cup of icing sugar to make the glaze, add more lemon juice or water to thin it and top the cake with it.
Summer on a plate is what this is.

2 comments:

  1. Hi came across your blog through a friend. Absolutely loved it! The recipes are delightful. I adore adore baking and cooking. Also thanks for the website Joy of baking, didn't know about it. I generally preferred Sally's Baking Addiction. And this was inspiring 'coz my friends have been asking me to start blogging too. Thanks!! Happy cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Harman. It's a nice coincidence to reply to your comment on this particular post since I'm just about to bake a lemon cake! :)

    ReplyDelete